Sunday, February 21, 2010

My Calling

I am the 2nd counselor in Primary. I got called back in November and have been overwhelmed ever since. People ask me why I get so nervous to conduct or teach Sharing Time. It is because of the adults in the room not the kids. Which is funny because it is usually the other way around for others.
Part of my calling is to plan 4 primary activities a year, ( I am so glad that is isn't the primary program). This last Friday we had our first one. We had the kids come in their jammies and we had 4 different people reading stories. So the kids got into groups and went from class to class and heard different story's. The Story tellers were so good and really got into it. The kids had a blast. I am so glad that is over with!
I am starting to get the hang of it and love being in primary. Especially since Tyler is a Sunbeam, it is fun to see him in there. He has learned that he can't come up to mom when I am up in front.
Our Presidency is great and all get along very well so that helps too. Sister Call and I worked together and made a bulletin board that I am so proud of so I wanted to show it off.
The Primary children are our future so we need to teach them well.


5 comments:

Jill said...

Debbie, I know you are a great teacher and that the kids love you! But I also know what you mean about being nervous. I had to teach RS and was total wreck every time. I wish we lived closer. You are a really great mom and I'm sure I could learn a lot from you. I'm so glad we have blogs to keep in touch.

Melissa said...

See, I knew you could do it! Soon after we spoke on the phone, they released our presidency and now I'm stuck behind the piano. So that one sharing time was my last. I'm really bummed about it, but at least I got to stay in there...and keep an eye on Grace!

The Mergenthaler Family said...

I get nervous in front of the adults too. Kids are easy compared to adults. I'm sure you are doing a great job! Primary is overwhelming in many ways because there is just so much to think of and do. I try to remind myself to be glad I'm not the Primary President who has to remember everything (even though she may not have to do it all).

Amber said...

You are so creative. You also are so great with kids so I know you are doing wonderful. We miss you. Sounds like everything is wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! That is awesome. I LOVE your bulletin board. You will be awesome in that calling! Sounds like a very fun activity. I was just called last week to be the 1st counselor and I am SCARED TO DEATH about doing Sharing Times. I may have to borrow some ideas from you!